My kids and I picked these beach plums from my mom's house on Plum Island, MA . As a way to hold on to summer just a little bit longer we made this unique and sweet jam:
Endless Summer Plum Jam
- 5 cups of Beach plums washed (or regular plums) should produce about 3 cups of juice. These plums my family and I actually picked on Plum Island Beach, MA.
- 1-2 cups of sugar (depending on your desired sweetness)
- 1.5 oz liquid pectin.
- Wash and pick over the beach plums to remove twigs and leaves
- Cook in a large pot the beach plums in 1/2 cup of water until they turn to jelly and pits come out to make beach plum juice. The fruit is ready when it’s completely cooked and the pits separate from the flesh and skins easily. This can take up to an hour at low heat. Stir occasionally to ensure all the fruit gets cooked through.
- Strain the boiled beach plums through a colander into another bowl. You can also use a potato masher prior to straining to help draw out the liquid. Once in the strainer, you will want to push down on it to force as much juice out as possible. You can also use cheese cloth to strain and squeeze out the juice.
- Return the juice to the large pot, add the 1-2 cups of sugar and boil. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add pectin and continue to stir. Bring to a rolling boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour liquid into clean and sterile jars. Let cool until about room temperature and then cover with lids and place in refrigerator to chill.